Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
Okay so I do not have a mousepad with my magic mouse, because everyone I have tried just doesn't track very well at all. My wood desk seems to be perfect so I have been using that. However after a day of use I have all this black residue junk on my desk that I have to get out the spray cleaner and clean it up, which requires a lot of scrubbing. Has anyone else seen this? It seems like the black rubber pads are rubbing off on my desk....if anyone has had this problem what did you do to fix it? New Magic Mouse? Thanks for taking your time in reading my post and hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Reactions: Design Diva

Stay Tuned

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I use mine directly on a wood veneer desk and don't get any marks. The only thing I ever get is when little objects get embedded into the plastic rails and I can feel it scratching all over the place.

If your desk is real actual wood, it may be harder then the plastic rails on the mouse which meant they will give way and wear out on the harder wood.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
No marks on my desk either. every once in awhile the black rails get junk on them and don't move freely but a quick wipe and good as new.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
The desk I have I got from Target but it says the tabletop is real cherry wood, the rest of the desk is not. So it might be because its real wood...but that is kind of bunk that I cannot use it without a mouse pad on this desk. I am on the phone with Apple now to see what they will say since its still under warranty.

No1nfoProvided

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
It might just be eraser shavings (or other gunk on the desk surface that just gets pounded into black marks onto the desk). Whenever I would do work on my desk and use my mouse afterwards, the bottom of the mouse pounds the shavings into little black gunk balls. It's pretty easy to scrape off though with minimal to no damage to the desk.

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
Im also the kind of guy who runs the mouse straight on the table. Its an plastic laminated wood lookalike table from Ikea. Where I kepe the mouse it's pretty worn down, but it's really something I've gotten use to over the years and I cant be bothered by it, hehe.

Regarding pads, I cant seem to find any that have good tracking and at the same time stay put, and often they are too small as well.

JBG87

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
just some dirt that slows down movement a little wipe on the bottom and dust off the table with my hand and its fine

senjayaedwin

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
Consider any school or working environment and look at their desks. You will witness the reality of time and how things have changed. You will not see any old fashioned desks because they are part of the past. If you were to place them in any contemporary office, you will quickly see how they spoil the whole environment. Yes, believe it or not, a desk can have a great impact on your performance since it can actually define your work environment.

This is where black desks are of great use. It is not because black is a great color - it also adds a lot of "power" to any environment. If you have any doubts on that fact, then try changing a few of your furniture to black and then witness the change for yourself. If you want to buy black desk, i will tell you How to Select the Best Black Desk at the other website. you just visit this site : black desk

Laurahellers

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
A white desk is such a popular item and having one inside your office will have many benefits. A desk is obviously a necessity in an office setting but did you know that the color of desk that you decide on can have different results? In this article we will discuss the benefits of having white desks inside your office.

If you're buying a white table for your computer, make sure it has at least one drawer and a couple of shelves. You should also look for white desks that have file cabinets where you can put your homework and school papers. Consider adding a book shelf by the desk so your printer will have a stand. If it's possible, get a desk with a hutch.

One of the most important things to be considered prior to purchase is the cost. A White chair in some departmental store may cost from a few 100$ to several thousand. Find out how choose white desk more cheaper and best quality

catlegere

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
OAK Desk -same issue

YES! MI COMPADRE. I have recently discovered (one year using desk) that it is INDEED the mouse's plastic tracks which builds this funny black gunk on the surface and in the wood grain. And yes it is the ONLY surface I can comfortably use the mouse on - its perfect - I could buy a pad, but I like the versatility of having a desk surface, and simply setting the mouse and keyboard aside. It is undeniably this wood/track issue and not eraser gum, or like dirty hands or something, because with the recession of the track height, the "belly" of the mouse has been worn down to remove the more matte finish of the mouse into a smooth shiny aluminum polished by the friction with the smooth oak desk. It kind of upsets me. I am worried about how this effects my mouse's lifespan, however I am not sure if I am going to do anything about it, I just wanted to see if other fools were having this problem. Cheers.

Reactions: Design Diva

LAURIEFAGEN

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2015
black residue from magic mouse

I purchased the 3M Precise Mouse Pad with Repositionable Adhesive Backing which I find works best with the magic mouse - less drag, nice and smooth. However, I am still getting a black residue - like graphite - on the mousepad, which transfers to my fingers, which transfers to the keyboard and is a mess. The metal part of the BOTTOM of my magic mouse is looking like the culprit - it's shiny and looks like it's what is being rubbed. And perhaps that's because the black rubber tracks are rubbed down as well???
It may also be because I had to put a small piece of paper inside with the batteries to keep them in place, as the mouse kept losing connection without it.
Short of getting a new magic mouse - any suggestions how to get rid of -- and KEEP rid of the black gunk? thanks ...

Design Diva

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2016
Apple Magic Mouse - I have this problem! It only started after 4 years. I thought the batteries were shedding a magnetic carbon or something... looks like ink marks. I have seem the gummy "balls" that collect on others desks, but I scrape off the "black plastic "rails" underneath very often to clean. Maybe they are disintegrating and not made from simple plastic.
aaargh, no answer. Where I work more often than not, I have had to buy supplies like this.
Might be doing a lot of cleaning!
BTW alcohol based products do not work, just soap and water. Real laminated wood... I don't think that makes a difference in my case.

Seahawksean

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
OAK Desk -same issue

YES! MI COMPADRE. I have recently discovered (one year using desk) that it is INDEED the mouse's plastic tracks which builds this funny black gunk on the surface and in the wood grain. And yes it is the ONLY surface I can comfortably use the mouse on - its perfect - I could buy a pad, but I like the versatility of having a desk surface, and simply setting the mouse and keyboard aside. It is undeniably this wood/track issue and not eraser gum, or like dirty hands or something, because with the recession of the track height, the "belly" of the mouse has been worn down to remove the more matte finish of the mouse into a smooth shiny aluminum polished by the friction with the smooth oak desk. It kind of upsets me. I am worried about how this effects my mouse's lifespan, however I am not sure if I am going to do anything about it, I just wanted to see if other fools were having this problem. Cheers.

Catlegere, have you by any chance had to stick a small piece of folder paper between the battery cover and batteries to keep the batteries from coming loose and disconnecting your Magic Mouse? I'm curious because I am have the exact same issue with the cover scraping and am wondering if this may be the reason why, as I do use said piece of paper.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Catlegere, have you by any chance had to stick a small piece of folder paper between the battery cover and batteries to keep the batteries from coming loose and disconnecting your Magic Mouse?
Uhh that poster hasn't been around in over three years and only posted once.

forrie

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
I'm a little late into this convo, but only because I found it via a Google search, for the same issue. See image below. It's really frustrating. Though it does clean up easily, it quickly comes back after use.

So is this considered a product issue (maybe not a proper "defect" but close), or is it due to the age.

I wonder if the black strips on the bottom could be covered with something durable, like clear nail polish, that might not wear down so quickly.

Suggestions?

340jwqQynGXD.jpg

Shades.Snyder

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2021
I am having the same issue. It is at random times, but a black residue will show up beneath my mouse. I also don't use a mousepad and I have a wooden top desk. It easily scrapes off, but it's so annoying! From the sounds of it, it's caused by the rubber wearing off of the mouse itself, but I didn't think that's what it would be. I may just have to get a mousepad to solve it; otherwise, I'll just have to deal with it I guess.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
No pun intended on the 'magic' mouse...but a 'magic' eraser is highly recommended if you can get one. Knockoffs can be found too. You'd be surprised what these little things clean off. I use them on everything including dings on the walls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.